450 Hazel Brake
Lots 16, 17, and 18
“The Todd/Fisher Houses”
Built in 1905 / 1957
Currently owned by Jan Rowland
The Todd family were the founders of Bracken Brae. They built their cabin at 450 Hazel Brake in 1905. This was the first house in Bracken Brae but, unfortunately, it burned down in August of 1956. A new cabin, which still stands, was built shortly thereafter.
Alice M. Todd (Fiske) (1870-1917) and William Platt Todd (1861 – 1919) were married in 1892 and had two children, Stedman Fiske Todd (1893-1935) and Theodosia Todd (1897-1925)
The Todd’s owned a real estate office in Oakland and bought and sold properties throughout the Oakland and San Francisco areas as well as summer home properties and ranches throughout California.
The Todd’s purchased the land that covers Bracken Brae and Forest Springs in 1903 from a man named E. E. Simonds. Bracken Brae was sub-divided as the first summer home resort in Boulder Creek. William Todd was the prime mover in the creation in Bracken Brae and the ‘revival’ of Boulder Creek. The property stayed in the family until the last of the Todd’s died in 1935.
In 1936, Howard and Zoe Fisher of Berkeley purchased the house from the bank that handled the Todd estate as there were no heirs. Howard died in 1950 but Zoe continued to live in the house full time in the summer and on weekends during the winter.
In 1956, on a cool August night, the cabin burned to the ground. It was thought to have started in a utility closet. Zoe barely escaped with her life. The Boulder Creek fire department came promptly after Morie Williams of 385 Burnside Bend rushed to town in his nightclothes to give the alarm, but it was impossible to save the house as the fire department concentrated on the forest and after battling it the rest of the night and part of the next day, the danger was past.
Eula Burnham of 535 Burnside Bend was the only one in Bracken Brae with a phone and by the time she got through to the fire department it was too late.
In 1957, Zoe built a new ‘electrically equipped’ cabin. It was built by Duke Boykin who was a local contractor from Ben Lomond. The property would stay in the family until 1960, a total of 24 years.

In 1903, the Todd family purchased the land of Bracken Brae and sub-divided it. In 1905, they built their cabin.



William Todd is staying at Bracken Brae, which he had purchased and subdivided the previous year. His cabin was not built yet so it is likely he slept in a structure already on the property.


Announcement that the Todd cabin is being built at Bracken Brae.






The Todd’s bought, sold, and rented properties in the East Bay, San Francisco, and across California. They dealt in houses, ranches, and vacation properties. They were very successful until the 1906 earthquake and fire after which there are several mentions of foreclosures in the newspapers.








A new oil company is founded by wealthy capitalists including founding members of Bracken Brae Edgar Bishop (511 Hazel Brake), William P. Todd (450 Hazel Brake), and Archie F. Kerr (530 Hazel Brake).
In 1917, Mrs. Todd passes away


In 1919, Mr. Todd passes away


In 1925, Mr. and Mrs. Todd’s daughter, Theodosia passes away




Stedman Todd inherits all rights to the cabin



In 1935, Stedman Todd – the last of the Todd family – passes away

Stedman Todd passes away in 1935. The obituary is incorrect about his sister. She passed away a few years earlier.
In 1936 the cabin is sold for taxes to Howard and Zoe Fisher.





In 1956, the cabin burns to the ground.

450 Hazel Brake burns to the ground. Mrs. Fisher barely escapes with her life. Morey Williams who lives at 385 Burnside Bend rushes to the fire station in his night clothes to sound the alarm. The only person in Bracken Brae with a telephone is Mrs. Burnham of 535 Burnside Bend but by the time she calls it is too late. 23 fireman battled the house fire and forest fire throughout the night but it is a total loss.
In 1957, Mrs. Fisher builds a fine new house.

In 1957, a new ‘electrically equipped’ house was built on the site of the old cabin by Duke Boykin. Duke was local contractor who lived on Estates Drive in Ben Lomond.
In 1960, the house is sold to the Wilson family.


In 1965, the house is purchased by R. Stone.
In 1967, the house is purchased by Jan Rowland who has now lived in Bracken Brae for 53 years.

