445 Hazel Brake
Lot 32
“The Rowe House”
Built in 1905
Currently owned by Scott and Leesa Tucker

In 1904, Purcell and Sarah Rowe purchased Lot 32. In March of 1905, the cabin was built by carpenter John W. Wood. The Rowe family were among the first members of Bracken Brae, having purchased their lot the year before opening of building in 1905.
Purcell was a well known attorney with offices in Oakland, San Francisco, and Bakersfield. He studied law at the University of Michigan.

In 1905 house was built by Purcell and Sarah Rowe
In 1923 house is sold to Ethyl L. Anderson of Alameda
In 1936 house is sold to Everett and Dorothy Bargones of Alameda
In 1946 house is sold to Albert and Martha Raible of Alameda who are family to the Bargones
In 1962 house is sold to Lillian and Harry Madden of San Francisco
In 1976 Harry Madden dies and house is sold by bank
In 1994 house is sold to Wendy and Ferdinand LaRocca
In 2001 house is sold to Lynne and James Sims
In 2007 house is sold to Teresa Soto and Theodore Huff
In 20125 house is sold to Leesa and Scott Tucker
In 1904, the Rowe family purchased lot 32. They built their cottage upon it in 1905.






The 1906 earthquake and fire was just a week ago. Purcell moves his legal practice to his residence as his office had been destroyed.


The first directors of Bracken Brae are C. A. Johnson (I think this is an error and should be C. A. Westenberg of 421 Hazel Brake), Edgar Bishop (owner of the lot at 511 Hazel Brake), Archie Kerr (of 530 Hazel Brake), Clinton McAllister (of 435 Hazel Brake), and Purcell Rowe (of 445 Hazel Brake)













After 18 year of ownership, Sarah Rowe sells the cottage to Ethel Anderson, of Alameda.



In 1936, Ethel Anderson sells the cottage to Everett and Dorothy Bargones of Alameda after 12 years of ownership.

In 1946 the cottage is sold to Albert and Martha Raible of Alameda and Martha’s brother Leonard Bargones. The cottage stays in the family a total of 28 years.


A tragedy happens across the street from the Raible’s previous summer home at Redwood Estate




In 1962 the house is purchased by Lillian and Harry Madden of San Francisco.






Dear Leora, Did you ever get left? Were at this place Saturday, it is grand. Saw Mr. and Mrs Moor’s name on the registry. – Laura






After the Woods house burns down, they purchase a new lot in Lorenzo from J. W. Peery. Peery founded the town of Lorenzo which was just a half-mile south of Boulder Creek in the area where the SLV museum stands. It is now considered Boulder Creek.

The Wood home at 12770 Boulder Street in Lorenzo (now Boulder Creek). The house was built in 1899.